I cant tell you how many times I have heard the words " You are such a Martha Stewart" (haha) I just love crafting, diy, painting, sewing, and home decorating. It gives me great satisfaction to look around my house and say " I MADE THAT!"

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

From Drab to Fab Kitchen



 I am back! Thank you all for the sweet comments and encouragement while my husband was overseas this past year! It is so nice to have him back home again, and things are finally getting back to normal. I have so many projects to share with you. I cant believe it has been 6 months since I redid my kitchen! Let me just say I am still completely in LOVE with my new kitchen, it brights up my whole house. It is also the first thing you see when you walk through our front door, and boy does it make a statement! On to the pictures...

Here are some Before pictures.

  
  It was so dark in my kitchen even in the middle of the day!  The dark finish of the cabinets was worn and faded. You can see I found cute 1x2 glass subway tiles at Lowe's for under $4 each! That was my jumping off point. After I started taking down the wallpaper back splash, I found the motivation I needed to just redo it all!

 
  I did all the tile in just one night after the kids went to bed! :) I used my Dremel tool with a diamond edge blade to cut the glass tiles. Since I used 1x2 tiles on a mesh backing, there wasn't very many cuts to make. You can just pop out the tiles in the way of outlets and trim the others.

 
 
  After the tile was done I knew I need to work on the cabinets next. I was so happy to cut down the ugly scallop over my window that attached my cabinets together and add bigger case molding around the top. I think besides the paint that was the biggest change to my kitchen! Ladies get RID OF THOSE SCALLOPS!!! haha
 
 
  After looking at a TON of pictures and reviews, I decided to go with the rustoleum cabinet transformations kit. (if you click the link it will take you to the website. You can look at other peoples reviews, before and after pictures, and sample colors!) I bought one kit at Lowe's for $80 in the Pure White finish. I used a walnut stain pen to add the detail around the doors and on the molding. I loved the way it looked without the glaze, so I opted not to use it.
 
Here are some After pictures...
 


The before pictures are from when we bought our house three years ago. Look how light and bright it is NOW!!! It is just such a big difference! :)  The finish just gives a warm glow, and washes wonderfully! After 6 months there are no marks, and that is with two kids and a dog!

What do you think of my LESS than $200 makeover?
 

42 comments:

  1. I think you need to come redo ours. :) Too bad we rent. I hate all our white walls and plainness. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed in that my landlord will pay for the material and we just have to do the work! Maybe you could check that out?

      All the best,

      Sylvie

      Delete
  2. This is great! The kitchen was so awful before and the after is great! Have you checked out Schoolhouse Electric Company? They have amazing light fixtures you may like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color on those tiles! Do you remember the name of them? Your kitchen is very similar in color to ours, we even used the same Rustoleum paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great transformation! The space is so much brighter, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! I have been looking at these kits and wondering if we could pull it off... I would love to know how long it took you to do the cabinets and if you did it by yourself?? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tremendous challenge so very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found your post on the rustoleum website and since you used the same colors that I'm considering for my own kitchen, I thought I'd check out your blog. :) Could you give some more details about the pen you used for the details, and at what step you did that? The photos aren't close up enough for me to tell exactly what was done, but I love the look you achieved! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just Beautiful! And very inspiring too. Did you do the inside of the cupboards? I am going to redo my worn oak cabinets in white...but am dreading the painting part...ESP the insides. Everyone tells me I have to do the insides or I won't be happy later. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Carmie

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Looks like a completely differant place!!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you...I just bought almost the exact backsplash tiles AND a smaller cabernet colored RUSTOLEUM cabinet kit on clearance at Lowe's. I am going to redo my bathroom first before moving on to the kitchen. Thank you for the inspiration to get stated!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW what a change, and great job you did. You must have lots or energy to have tackled this job by yourself. But I bet your husband was surprised and happy and wowed by the job you did. FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look amazing!
    \Now that it has been 3 years, how have the cabinet held up? Would you do anything different?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome article! Thank you for this article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very glad! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good supply like this.
    Really good stuff, this helped me in my project. PS. Can you suggest me some stuff on Government Student Loan ? Im still a newbie with this
    Hello, I saw a 3 of your attention-grabbing posted posts and wished to ask if you happen to would be concerned with reciprocal pages? Team have blog about alexis texas Soft Trending

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers
    Im happy that I discovered this page, Ill bookmark it, Extremely beneficial web page, Maintain going
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, wonderful job! This was the thing I needed to get.
    Thought I would comment and say cool theme, did you create it on your own? It looks excellent!
    I'm having a tiny problem I cannot make my reader pick up your rss feed, I'm using google reader fyi.
    British original art

    ReplyDelete
  17. winsbury mechan teriyaki creach spelvin Nachum fayaway Quon pang
    is absolutely It must be quite a lot of work to keep your blog so nice and neat! I dont know if my comment is going to pop up because Im not very tech savvy, hopefully I can get this right!
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  18. so nice collection never seen before such rare things kitchen linens. thanks for sharing this information.how to repair pvc pipe without cutting

    ReplyDelete
  19. t presume that Im being foolish.
    Ive been searching on the net hoping to get some ideas on how to get my website coded, your general style and design are amazing. Did you code it yourself or did you get a prsodium hypochlorite amazon
    china air purifier
    korean air purifier brands

    ReplyDelete
  20. The chief capabilities associated with a home seem to be to help you keep, prepare yourself and additionally make meals diet and additionally to try and do corresponding projects just like dishwashing.how to get vaseline out of clothes

    ReplyDelete
  21. A pretty important functions of one's kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to accomplish related tasks including dishwashing.kenmore elite refrigerator t cooling

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.how to get vaseline out of clothes

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very good post, thank you. I am surprised to find your website.

    ReplyDelete

  24. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful article.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You made my day by sharing an amazing article.

    ReplyDelete

  26. I would like to be here again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It’s truly a nice and helpful piece of information.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! this is often nice article you shared with great information.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for giving such an exquisite informative information.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very nice article and straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Much obliged to you and sitting tight for your new post

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you. Actually, I run a site similar to you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Having read this I believed it was really enlightening.

    ReplyDelete