I cant tell you how many times I have heard the words " You are such a Martha Stewart" (haha) I just love crafting, diy, painting, sewing, and home decorating. It gives me great satisfaction to look around my house and say " I MADE THAT!"

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ballard Design Shelves Tutorial

  I don't know about you, but I love me some YHL (aka: "Young House Love"). I seriously stalk their page daily to read their new posts and search the old ones for inspiration! :) Well, Sherry from YHL and Katie from Bower Power came up with the...
From Fall Family Pics

  I was at a lost as to what to do for my project, I mean, have you ever visited Pinterest? It is inspiration overload! I will get on for just a minute to look for something, and two hours later I am still pining!!! LOL! Well I was sick this week and looking around as I laid dying on the couch ;) . I started moving things around in my head (I have decorating super powers, haha). I knew if I moved my Art Blocks to a different wall I could use that space for this...

From Fall Family Pics

  Enter Shelley from house of Smiths AMAZING-NESS!!! Sick or not I had to have these shelves asap! So the next day off to Lowe's I ran, there I met Travis, my Lowe's handy helper (sorry only a mom of two little ones who watches Disney channel all morning long will get my humour), LOL.

From November 4, 2011

  Cole was very excited to be Travis' big helper. He wanted to hold Travis' hand as we walked over to the lumber.

From November 4, 2011

From November 4, 2011

  There we found a 5 1/2 inch x 8 ft board for $9.16 ( and it was pre primed), SCORE!

From November 4, 2011

From November 4, 2011

  Next we went over to the decorative trim section and found this case molding, 10ft for $8.80.

From November 4, 2011

  In the same section was the wooden brackets, which were 4 for $3.34.

From November 4, 2011

  Here is where the AWESOME part comes in ... Lowe's did almost all my cutting for me! I had him cut the 5 1/2 in board down to 42 inches, and 32 inches. ( Because of where my studs were on the wall I could not fit 3ft and 4ft shelves.) Next he cut my trim to 44 inches and 34 inches  and 4 pieces at 6 1/2 inch (to leave room for the miter cut) I only had to do 8 miter cuts at home, which saved me some serious time!

From November 4, 2011

  After we thanked Travis for his great costumer service we were back in the car and home in 45 mins flat for the total trip. Talk about instant gratification! Next I made the 4 miter cuts and used my brad nailer to nail it together in 20 mins, we are doing good! I found the can of stain from our kitchen cabinets and added one coat to the brackets with a foam brush. I really wanted to stain my brackets to play on the contrast from the shelves and tie into my cabinets since they are right across from them!

From November 4, 2011

From November 4, 2011

  While they dried I caulked all the holes and cracks. I left it over night to dry and painted it with 2 coats in the morning. My canned tomatoes were perfect for painting blocks. Next, I found where my studs were and hung both sets of brackets, then added the white shelves on top, and shot 2 brad nails from the top into the top of the brackets. Now it was time to decorate...

From November 4, 2011

  Looking around the house I found a few things here and there and threw this together... Not bad for not buying a thing.  Can you believe I found those cute little berry branches on a tree in our yard! ;) Added a little vinyl and I was finished!

Before:
From November 4, 2011

After:

From November 4, 2011

Morning Light

From November 4, 2011

  Cost Break Down:

5 1/2 inch 8ft board        $ 9.16

Case Molding 10ft         $ 8.80

4 wooden brackets         $ 13.36

paint and stain          already had

caulk                        already had

                        Total :  $ 31.32

  Ballard Design shelves are $89  for the 3ft, and $109  for the 4ft  both together are $198
    That is a $166.68 saving!!!

  Hope you have a great weekend, and make something GREAT!!!


Thanks for stopping by,

Jeni

33 comments:

  1. Great job Jeni! I wish I could be so inspired when I'm laying around sick! ;-)
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, I've been looking to put shelfs in my kitchen, super inspiration!
    Carly - new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, i will say one thing: this is gorgeous.

    okay, two things: i cannot believe you got those wooden corbels for like 3 bucks each. they cost a fortune here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. house no.2,
    Thank you so much! I am so glad you loved my shelves! They were so easy and cheap to make it was a shock to me too!

    Jeni@ Becoming Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! It's beautiful & what a great price! I found your blog from the craftomaniac party. I'm your newest follower. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
    Thanks,
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. FAB. JOB. love the shelves, plus you decorated them up so PERFECTLY. winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out great! So cute you had a little helper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is really fabulous! I was thinking about doing something similar in my home--now I know how to make my own! Thank you!

    Ps--I am following you now. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I'm a new follower,too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. o GREAT JOB! thanks for sharing at Tell Me Tuesday! I LOVE THIS
    xoxo
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful reproduction! I think yours is just as pretty. Also, I love your blog. It inspires me to get going on my own projects.
    Vonnie in MN
    By the way, your children are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! Love the red accents with your wall color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great! I love how you decorated them too. I am a new follower:)
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
    I've been looking for shelves to put in my dinning room (actually I have the same pin) But the budget is tight with a new house and new baby! I sent this to my husband and asked him to get to Lowes today ;)
    I'm a new but going to be avid follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda,
    I am so glad you were inspired by my post! :) People like you make my job so much more enjoyable! :) Way to get on it sister, I would LOVE to see your shelves when you are done! If you have a FB you please most them on Becoming Martha's Facebook page! :) Thank you!

    Jeni @Becoming Martha

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shelves look great! Thanks for posting over at Our Simple Country Life - glad I stopped by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping by from TT&J. Great job on the shelves! Pinning for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    Jenny
    www.honeysuckleonthevine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jeni!! Thanks for stopping by Inspired Honey Bee. Thanks for this great tutorial - you did an amazing job and inspire me to ask for some help. I always feel so limited because I don't have a saw. Stop by my Pinterest-a-thon challenge on Monday!!! xoxox Debbie @ inspiredhoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nicely done! I'm all about saving money, too :-)
    craftythriftydecoratingwifemom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for linking up to our party, Show and Share #13, come back this week!

    A mommy's life... with a touch of yellow
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  21. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its a good post, keep posting and update the information.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really happy found this website eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this wonderful post and all the best for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome updates! Continue blogging Hoping to your next post here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It consists of great deal of info. Many thanks for sharing this effective work!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're so cool! So nice to find article like yours, its so great man!! Keep doing it

    ReplyDelete
  28. I needed to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed it. Write more

    ReplyDelete
  29. I must say you have written a great article. A must read post that need to bookmarked

    ReplyDelete