I cant tell you how many times I have heard the words " You are such a Martha Stewart" (haha) I just love crafting, diy, painting, sewing, and home decorating. It gives me great satisfaction to look around my house and say " I MADE THAT!"

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Backpack Love

  Today while I was at Walmart with the kiddos (Anyone else visit Walmart on a day to day basis?) we walked past the back to school section. Cole got so excited and ran to the backpacks on the end cap. He grabbed one off and put it on. Then he looked at me with his big brown eyes and said "This is my backpack Mommy". I knew he was in love and it would be a nightmare to get him to put it back. Luckily it was only $4.99 (score) and it was a pretty cute pattern (double score)!!!

From backpack

   On a side note... I am the only Mom that tries to convince their kid to pick something else when they pick up the ugliest one? ha ha

Ok back to the backpack. ;)

   I got home and I was looking at a Pottery Barn Kid Magazine lusting after all the COOL kid stuff in there, when I thought of personalizing his backpack. I didn't want to go to the store so I pulled out my stash of goodies...aka scraps from other projects. I found navy blue and white felt, and the Wonder Under I used to make the kids Super Hero Outfits.

   First I used my Word program to pick out a font and trace it on paper. After that I ironed Wonder Under on to the back of the navy blue felt. I cut the letters out of the paper and traced them backwards on to the back of the felt.

From backpack

From backpack

  Next I cut out each letter. Once that was finished I peeled the backing off the navy blue letters and ironed them onto the white felt.

From backpack

   I took another piece of Wonder Under and ironed it onto the back of the white felt, then cut a thin border all the way around the navy blue letters. Pretty easy right.

From backpack

   Line it up onto your backpack and iron it on.

*I used another piece of felt over the iron so it would have contact with the backpack material.*

From backpack
I think this is a great way to dress up a cheap backpack, or update an old one.

From backpack

From backpack

From backpack

From July 27, 2011

From July 27, 2011

Thanks for stopping by,

Jeni

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I wanted to get my daughter's name monogrammed on, but ran out of time before school started. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! And Cole is super cute too :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! I'd love it if you could add my button to your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I am a new follower. Love this project! Stopping by to invite you to join Thrifty Thursday, because your I am loving your posts. Have a wonderful day. Blessings!

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute and a great way to not mistakenly take someone else's bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cute! What a fun way to personalize it! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete