I cant tell you how many times I have heard the words " You are such a Martha Stewart" (haha) I just love crafting, diy, painting, sewing, and home decorating. It gives me great satisfaction to look around my house and say " I MADE THAT!"

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Growing a Tree Indoors

From Becoming martha pictures

  Well I had a little time tonight after the kids went to bed, so I figured I would knock out my first tutorial! Let me start by saying this is a big feature, so you really want to make sure you choose the right tree or image for you. Make sure it is something you LOVE, because it is going to be a bold statement in your room! I just googled "silhouette tree" to find one I liked. Ok now that you have a image, you need to print it out on clear overhead projector paper (or vellum paper) . Next you use a overhead projector to draw the rough outline up on the wall.

Here is what mine looked like traced in pencil on the wall.

Photobucket

I used cheap craft paint brushes and black semi gloss paint to fill in the silhouette


Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

I used my Cricut to cut out the frames in two different tones of silver scrapbook paper. I layered them together, added a little distress ink to the edges, and used a pearl stick pin to hang them on the tree. I also glued on small diamonds to tie it into the monogram on the other wall.


Photobucket

I am so happy with how it turned out! Abby loves going up to it now and pointing out her Papa.


* If you have any questions just leave a comment! :D


Thanks for stopping by

Jeni

25 comments:

  1. this is absolutely stunning. it looks so vintage but with a modern twist - i really like it!! makes me wish I didn't live in rented accommodation... otherwise i'd be getting the paint out! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this tree... i haven't been able to find this particular silhouette... can you post the site you got it on?

    did you use the same technique on the monogram?

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project - beautiful! So creative - lovely design and great craftsmanship! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spotted your tree via I heart Nap time... your 'tree' just simply standout of the crowd...admired your creativity and lovely craft work! Do drop by and check out at http://meijosjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! Love it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good idea! I love how it looks! Thanks for sharing!
    www.modernwivelyhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! It turned out so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the added frames for the names - really cute nursery decor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful! we are painting a similar tree in the nursery of my 6 months old. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. Thank you for linking up at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed! You really did an amazing job tracing it out and painting:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful! I wish I had an overhead projector!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Jeni! I've pinned this in Pinterest and featured it today here. Please feel free to grab the feature button on my sidebar and thank you so much for linking up in my blog party :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful idea, I love how it turned out, I think it is so neat you used an overhead! The frames are perfect too... Thanks for showing off!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is completely charming! I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi There! Could you please email me at uniquebabygear at bellsouth.net to discuss my doing a feature on your baby nursery ideas? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. This turned out a-maz-ing! Jeni!! Awesome job! The frames, gems and pearl picks are super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome, but I do not have an over head projector. you did great...love it.

    get so much inspiration by visiting these blogs. Ladies you all have Talent.
    Thanks

    Chris
    http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tree looks beautiful. Very neatly done.

    Thanks for linking up at Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner and adding to the fun. The party for this week is going on... hope to see you there again :)

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it!!! I want to do it in my daughters room but need a projector

    ReplyDelete